By Terri Ross
I hear all the time that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but also the hardest to get in. And I agree, early morning hours don’t allow for one to be cooking up gourmet meals, if one values sleep! I found this recipe for muffin bites from cafedelites.com and they are a go to for me – they take minutes to prepare on the weekend and seconds to warmup in the microwave during the week. And they have all the important components of a meal; carbs, protein and fat. Plus, they are easily adaptable to create whatever omelet creations are your favorite.
- 12 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, (red, white or yellow/brown)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
TOMATO SPINACH MOZZARELLA:
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
GARLIC MUSHROOM PEPPER:
- 1/4 cup sliced brown mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, (capsicum), diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/3 teaspoon minced garlic
Preheat oven to 350°F | 180°C. Lightly spray a 12-cup capacity muffin tin with nonstick oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and onion. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add egg mixture halfway up into each tin of a greased muffin tin.
- Divide the three topping combinations into 4 muffin cups each.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve OR store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat when ready to serve.